Workday Journal Line Reload Week of April 5
In the coming weeks, the Data and Analytics team within the Office of Technology and Digital Innovation (OTDI) will be reloading the core Journal Line dataset from Workday into the Reporting and Analytics Environment (RAE), starting with January 2021 data and finishing through current day.
Starting the week of April 5, 2022, we will be working behind the scenes to reload data to the RAE, beginning with January 2021 and then forward. The reload process is expected to be complete no later than April 15, 2022. We will load the data incrementally in monthly buckets due to the size of the files. Thus, during this 10-day period, updates will appear as the load steps complete.
There will be no system outage or downtime due to this work. Users, reports, and dashboards should not be affected. Updated and complete data will flow into your existing queries without any changes on your part. Once the reload is complete, we will send out a follow up notification.
Over the past few months, we have been working with the OTDI team supporting Workday, as well as key partners in colleges and units to remedy a few data issues that have been identified in the RAE dataset. This reload will correct these issues back to the launch of Workday (January 2021), and we have new data load processes in place to keep the data complete going forward.
This reload will affect the following datasets in the RAE and Tableau:
- RAE Table - data_wday_slv.fact_journal_line
- Tableau Data Source – Workday FIN Mart - Journal Line Detail
Issues fixed by the data reload:
- Timeout issues - Due to the large size of the journal line feed, some data loads were timing out which resulted in delays with getting current data into the RAE, followed by a manual run/fix to correct the issue. We’ve partnered with the OTDI Integrations team and moved to a more stable process to get this massive amount of data loaded to the RAE each day without timing out.
- Journal line issues - Journal lines associated with ADHOC PAYEE worktags or having blank Budget Date fields were not being loaded to the RAE.
- Position level detail - Journal line data is currently being loaded at a payroll summary level (not down to the employee/position level). We’ve added a new feed to load the position level detail for payroll journal line data. Note, this will also result in the creation of a new Workday Payroll Detail Journal Line Tableau Data Source.
Finally, we wanted to give a shout out to all the data analysts, report developers, integrations team members, and Business and Finance subject matter experts who helped identify, resolve, and validate the fixes for the issues mentioned. This is by far the biggest update to the RAE since go-live a year ago and we could not have made it to this point without the collective teamwork across so many groups. Thank you!
If you have any questions or concerns about this update, please do not hesitate to contact me directly or my team at: email@example.com
Lonnie Morgan Jr.
Senior Director of Data and Analytics
Data and Integration Services, Office of Technology and Digital Innovation (OTDI)