Ohio State Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides secure, scalable cost-effective computing, storage and database services that faculty and staff can use for things like research projects, web application hosting, archival file storage and administrative Business Intelligence/analytics.
Ohio State users should not sign up for a new AWS account at aws.amazon.com to use for university business. Any AWS account used for university business must be set up through the Ohio State AWS service to comply with university requirements. If you create a new account through aws.amazon.com it must be used solely for personal use; must be tied to a personal email address (e.g. @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, etc) and personal credit card; and cannot store university data
To learn more about the Ohio State AWS offering view the service offering details.
Ohio State does not have a Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with Amazon. Personal Health Information (PHI) cannot be stored in AWS.
Ohio State AWS Accounts
The OCIO offers university-configured AWS (also called Ohio State AWS) to faculty and staff for approved university business. Ohio State AWS adds the following features to the standard AWS offering:
- Integrated billing – your AWS charges will be paid automatically from your Ohio State account;
- Ohio State name.n and BuckeyePass login to the AWS console;
- Pre-configured accounts to meet Ohio State requirements;
- Access to support specialists within AWS;
- …and much more! Take a look at our service comparison chart for full details.
Explore and Learn
The resources below represent a handful of key locations to use and bookmark:
- Ohio State AWS: Successful Six
- AWS Training and Education Options
- AWS Getting Started
- AWS Service Documentation
- What’s New with AWS
- Future Research on AWS
- High Performance Computing on AWS
- Imagine: Campus on a Cloud
Ohio State AWS account owners are responsible to work closely with their local IT and Security Coordinators to protect the use of university data in AWS.
- AWS General Security Checklist(link is external)
- AWS Security Best Practices(link is external)
- Ohio State Institutional Data Policy(link is external)
- Ohio State Information Security Framework(link is external)
Bi-Weekly AWS Office Hours
* No AWS Office Hours will occur during university observed holidays.
Biweekly In-Person Office Hours
Date: Biweekly Thursdays beginning Jan 21
Time: 1 to 4 p.m.
Location: Research Commons (*relocated from Pomerene Hall)
In-person consultation sessions are 30 minutes, by appointment only. These sessions are available only to current Ohio State employees. To sign up, use the Research Commons consultation registration system.
Weekly Online Office Hours
Date: Every Tuesday starting Dec 21
Time: 3 to 4:30 p.m.
Online consultation sessions are 30-minutes maximum, by appointment. These consultations are available only to current Ohio State employees. To access the appointment page and sign up, enter your Ohio State username and password at https://go.osu.edu/awsofficehours.
AWS Events and Webinars
AWS Online Tech Talks
Online presentations led by AWS solutions architects and engineers. AWS Online Tech Talks cover a range of topics and expertise levels, and feature technical deep dives, demonstrations, customer examples, and live Q&A with AWS experts.
To receive updates about Ohio State AWS, join our mailing list. We will use this listserv as an additional way to share Ohio State AWS news, information, training, awareness and other opportunities. If you have issues joining the list, please use the Contact Us form to let us know.