How to Solve Common Start-of-Term Technology Issues
The IT Service Desk is available at the BuckeyeBar during business hours and by phone around the clock to help you solve technology problems. At the beginning of term, we generally get numerous questions about the same few services. We are here to help if you need it, but often users can fix problems more quickly on their own if they have the correct information. Below are solutions to some of the most common problems.
In addition, The Buckeye Bar and Tech Hub will offer limited support August 17, 2017 through September 9, 2017 due to increased customer volume. During that time they will only offer support for the following services:
- Account Activation
- Password Resets
- Wireless Connectivity
- Email Setup/Activation
- Software/Token Pickup
Normal support will resume on September 11, 2017.
Secure Wi-Fi is provided for students, faculty and staff via the encrypted network osuwireless. To connect:
- Run the osuwireless configuration utility to have your device automatically configured
If you do not have Internet connectivity:
- Connect to the open Wi-Fi network, WiFi@OSU
- Open a web browser and go to wireless.osu.edu
- Upon being redirected to a login page, click on Connect to osuwireless to have your device automatically configured
The osuwireless configuration utility successfully configures numerous device types. However, in the event the configuration utility does not work, you may choose one of the popular operating systems below for instructions on manually configuring your device for osuwireless.
Please visit wireless.osu.edu for answers to frequently asked questions.
Forgotten Passwords and User Names
- Forgotten username: If you forget your username, find it by clicking "Forgot Username?" on the login page. You will need to supply certain information about yourself so you can be located in the Identity Vault. See "Forgotten Ohio State Username or Password" for more information on how to locate your username
- Forgotten password: If you forget the password that goes with your Ohio State Username, you can reset it by clicking "Forgot password?" on the login page. You have two options:
- You can reset your password by receiving a SMS text message on your phone (SMS is “Short Message Service”). If you already receive Buckeye Alert text messages, then you’re set up to use this option. Follow these simple steps to use SMS password reset.
- Your second option is to respond to the Security Questions you established when you first opened your account. Giving the correct responses allows you to access the password reset feature. See "Forgotten Ohio State Username or Password" for more information on how to reset your password.
- Password change: Your password must be changed roughly twice a year, at least once every 180 days. You can change it by logging in and clicking "Change My Password" in the left navigation bar. See my.osu.edu: Ohio State Username Password for more information on how to change your password.
Your Ohio State username and password is synched to the following resources:
- BuckeyeLink (students)
- Buckeye Mail (students)
- OSU Wireless
- Carmen (online learning)
- Transportation and Parking (parking permit registration)
- And many more
If you have read this article and are still experiencing difficulties, please contact the IT Service Desk.