Online Program Development Process
This list outlines what steps colleges take and what approvals must be secured to create a distance education program at Ohio State.
- Meet with OTDI to
- Review Graduate School and/or Council on Academic Affairs (CAA) proposal guidelines and past proposals.
- Develop and submit your proposal for approval to the appropriate department and college curricular committees.
- Complete OTDI's Memorandum of Understanding.
- Submit your proposal, along with your completed OTDI MOU, for approval to the Graduate School and/or CAA.
Course Design and Program Development
This stage takes place after initial approvals are secured.
- Meet with OTDI to begin course design.
- Submit applicable courses for online delivery and any course revisions to curriculum.osu.edu.
- Meet with OTDI State Authorization team to understand the requirements, service, and process for obtaining authorization.
- If applicable, obtain approval from University Senate, Board of Trustees and Ohio Department of Higher Education. (These approvals typically apply to Change of Delivery and New Program proposals.)
- Registrar assigns CIP, CPP, and ONL codes to your program.
- Create application in partnership with Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions.
- After application has been created and is live, OTDI marketing can begin.
- Prepare for application reviews, advising, student support, etc.
- Admit and enroll students, labeling students in the student information system with the Distance Education (ONL) subplan.
- Meet with OTDI for check-in conversation each semester.
- Continue to work with OTDI marketing to share data around prospective students, applications, and program goals and needs.
Program Approval Timelines*
- New Program: 12-18 months
- Change of Delivery: 9-12 months
- Certificate: 6-9 months
*These timelines are estimates. There are many factors that can affect a proposal's timeline to approval. Please note that once a program has been approved, it needs to be added to the university’s systems and an application needs to be created. This process is estimated to take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.
Contact us for more information about developing your online program.